[Dev] [consensus][due: 2016-08-10] increasing security in Parabola, servers

pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) pelzflorian at pelzflorian.de
Wed Aug 3 07:30:03 GMT 2016

On 08/02/2016 11:34 PM, Luke Shumaker wrote:
> I have a netctl "GUI"[1].  The only time I think NetworkManager could
> provide anything of value over it is the GUI for joining an WPA-EAP
> network; since netctl's `wifi-menu` doesn't support them.  And then,
> when I've reluctantly installed NetworkManager to set up these, I just
> port the NetworkManager config over to netctl.
>
> Why doing this is worth it over just using NetworkManager:
> […]

You clearly have more (negative) experience with NetworkManager than I
do. Either way, we do want something like NetworkManager’s GUI/Dbus
interfaces/… to exist for typical users who don’t want to write their
own bash script. I see why you don’t want it on the server, even though
it probably won’t mess up plain Ethernet.