[Dev] [consensus][due: 2016-08-10] increasing security in Parabola, servers

coadde coadde at riseup.net
Tue Aug 2 13:30:07 GMT 2016

On 08/02/2016 05:43 AM, hellekin wrote:
> On 08/02/2016 08:09 AM, pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) wrote:
>> On 08/02/2016 02:00 AM, coadde wrote:
>>> On 08/01/2016 01:31 PM, Ali Abdul Ghani wrote:
>>> GNU's Not Unix! and Systemd doesn't respect UNIX principle :)
>>>

>> Yes it does respect them, but more importantly Arch uses systemd and
>> supporting another build system means a lot of work. Either way, I don’t
>> think the choice netctl vs NetworkManager matters very much for a server.
>>

> Although I don't like systemd, as Arch *development tools* are bound to
> systemd, why not use that?  It has systemd-networkd, which should be
> more than sufficient. You only have ethernet running there, right?
> NetworkManager sounds like useless bloatware in that context.

I not mention any *development tools* or any *build system* and Parabola
uses LibreTools created and maintained by LukeShu.

Nectl, NetworkManager and Networkd are network managers software and i
only mention for it.

Arch is the GNU/Linux distribution that officially uses only Systemd.

Systemd is more that init system with includes udev, logind, journald,
networkd, systemd-boot, etc. And it's only compatible with GNU/Linux.

Netctl is only useful with Systemd and only is used in Arch-based
distributions. And Netctl are maintained by Arch (the GNU/Linux
distribution).

Therefore, i wish use NetworkManager to the server, due is intended for
all users and is portable for any init systems and any operating
systems, if not, any new users that comes from others distributions
and/or others operating systems to Parabola needs re-study and getting
used a specific software that is limited by specific operating system
and/or specific distribution, in this case Netctl.

Then, if the server uses the Systemd by default, i prefer
systemd-networkd as a minor option since it is the default option
provided by Systemd.