[Dev] [consensus][due: 2016-08-10] increasing security in Parabola, servers

pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) pelzflorian at pelzflorian.de
Tue Aug 2 08:08:47 GMT 2016

On 08/01/2016 11:52 PM, Luke wrote:
> On 07/30/2016 11:24 PM, coadde wrote:
>> * Add TOR, DNSCrypt and VPN to increase security.
> I could see a TOR Hidden Service and/or VPN into the server for
> developers as being useful. However, unless we are planning to surf
> around using the main server as a VPN (probably not a good idea?) there
> isn't much need for DNSCrypt as others mentioned. This can be done
> client-side.

Why use a TOR Hidden Service? Hidden Services hide the server, not the
client, and the Parabola server does not need to be hidden. TOR should
be installed on the client, not the server.

Similarly, IPv6 privacy extensions are not needed for a public server.

I’m not quite sure what the plan was about VPN. Do you want the server
to be a VPN client or a VPN server?

Regards,
Florian Pelz