[Dev] Sustainable Donations for Parabola Project

Luke g4jc at openmailbox.org
Wed Apr 27 00:28:33 GMT 2016

Hello,
It has come to my attention that some of our developers are now working
full-time on Parabola (and not getting paid enough to even pay the bills!).
We should come up with a plan to give these hard workers a minimum
living wage. The only way I see this possible will be a weekly or
monthly giving program, the other options such as KickStarter or
IndieGogo are not sustainable on the long-term.

As such, I think we should reach a consensus on a good monthly giving
platform to use for the project, and how the money will be distributed.

I think that the core developers that are working full-time should be
paid a reasonable living wage amount for their efforts, and any excess
could be given as bounty to part-time volunteers for fixing complex
bugs, and/or to help grow the much needed infrastructure.

In any case, here are the available platforms that are: a)
Libre/OpenSource and b) Monthly or weekly payments options to encourage
continued sustainable donations:

* GratiPay - https://gratipay.com/
* Liberapay - https://liberapay.com/ (Better I think, since it includes
Team payment)

Others/non-free: Patreon,  do nxt, etc.

Taxes etc. would need to be handled by Ceate, but I don't think that
will be an issue since we already have a good relationship with them for
our current donations.

Thoughts?

Luke