[Dev] libretools 20160418 release announcement

Luke Shumaker lukeshu at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 18 04:47:40 GMT 2016

I just released libretools 20160418 to [libre], and pushed the source
tarball to <https://repo.parabola.nu/other/libretools/>.

This is mostly a bugfix release.  I know that everyone was looking
forward to being able to cross-compile for ARM from x86 in this
release.  Unfortunately, this is blocked by issue #988 (packaging a
static version of QEMU for x86[1]).  However, While working on it, I'd
accumulated enough fixes and changes that I decided getting a release
out would be a good thing.

In particular, librechroot's new `-A` flag obviates the "Building
32-bit packages on a 64-bit system" wiki page[2].

Changes from 20160208 to 20160418:
 * librechroot:
   * Learn the `-A` flag to set the architecture of a chroot.
   * Print an error instead of deadlocking when trying to sync a copy
     with itself.
   * Fix a bug where junk mounts could be left over if interrupted
     during the creation of a chroot.
 * libredbdiff: Work with plain extra/expac.
 * libreblacklist: Fix internationalization.
 * librefetch: Support the SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH standard[3].
 * libremessages: Fix the `flag` function's handling of headings.
 * librexgettext: Fix handling of libremessages 'flag' function .
 * Documentation:
   * libremessages: Improve the man page.
   * librechroot: In the 'help' text, explain how the architecture is
     determined.
   * INSTALL: Update (as of 20160208 it had not reflected reality for
     some time).
   * HACKING: Improve the HACKING documentation for contributors.
 * Build system:
   * Various improvements from lukeshu-automake[3].
   * Error sensibly if the user misconfigures `config.mk:devtoolsdir`.
 * Packaging (pre-built Parabola package only):
   * The dependencies of [librelib] have been updated to reflect
     reality, in particular, it now has optdepends.

As a side note, now when running `librerelease`, the server will spew
out a bunch of errors from XBS.  As it has always been, errors and
warnings from XBS are totally ignorable.  Hopefully I will get this
fixed soon.

[1]: https://labs.parabola.nu/issues/988
[2]: https://wiki.parabola.nu/Building_32-bit_packages_on_a_64-bit_system
[3]: https://reproducible-builds.org/specs/source-date-epoch/