[Dev] License proposal to use URW fonts with special exception for another embedded files as SVG

Luke Shumaker lukeshu at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 13 00:49:48 GMT 2015

On Fri, 11 Sep 2015 15:17:46 -0600,
Márcio Silva wrote:
> Hi all i'm Márcio Silva, one of the Parabola distro hackers and ...

Hello,

I'm Luke Shumaker, and I'm also a contributor the the Parabola
GNU/Linux-libre distribution.

Márcio Silva wrote:
> i would propose you a license for URW fonts with special exception
> ... to be used in our main distro logo [1], but i reported a issue
> about it on our labs [2]
>
> [2]:https://labs.parabola.nu/issues/797

As I commented on the linked issue report, it is my belief that the
current licensing of the URW++ core 35 fonts does not cause a
licensing problem for our logo.

However, I still recomend (and humbly request) that you follow
Márcio's recommendation to switch to the FSF-recommended GPL font
exception:

The current URW++ AGPL font exception, as relayed by Ghostscript[0][1]:

> As a special exception, permission is granted to include these font
> programs in a Postscript or PDF file that consists of a document that
> contains text to be displayed or printed using this font, regardless
> of the conditions or license applying to the document itself.

[0]: http://git.ghostscript.com/?p=urw-core35-fonts.git;a=blob_plain;f=LICENSE
[1]: http://git.ghostscript.com/?p=ghostpdl.git;a=blob_plain;f=LICENSE

The FSF-recommended GPL font exception, with GPL replaced with AGPL[2]:

[2]: https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#FontException