[Dev] Re/Fwd: SSL Cert for parabola.nu

Luke Shumaker lukeshu at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 14 02:58:53 GMT 2015

I've redacted Greg's email address, because I'm not sure how he feels
about it being public (I've Bcc'd him).

On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 13:57:20 -0400,
Greg Tomko wrote:
> Hi Luke,
>
> I was just browsing through a reddit thread on fully free distros [1]
> and someone (appropriately) linked to Parabola's page. Noticed the CA
> Cert certificate you're using on the site. I work as a support rep for
> GlobalSign and we offer free SSL Certs for open source projects [2].
> Certainly understand using CA Cert as it's a community maintained CA and
> aligns with the community-oriented nature of Parabola, but if you're
> interested I can set you up with a free 1 year cert. It can cover your
> main site as well as any sub-domains you have under parabola.nu.
>
> Let me know if you're interested, you can either reply to this e-mail
> for immediate info or send one to [redacted]@globalsign.com and I'll
> be back in the office on Tuesday to process the request!
>
> [1] https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/3oa3n1/using_fully_free_distros/
> [2] https://www.globalsign.com/en/ssl/ssl-open-source/
>
> Cheers,
> Greg
>
> --
> Gregory Tomko

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the offer!

The plan, to my knowledge, is to get a free cert from Let's Encrypt[1]
when they launch general availability next month.

[1]: https://letsencrypt.org/2015/08/07/updated-lets-encrypt-launch-schedule.html

----

However, looking at GlobalSign's offering to OSS projects, they
require you to get an "A" from the SSL Labs checker; so I decided to
take a look[2].  Ignoring that it doesn't like CA Cert, parabola.nu
still only gets a "C".  So we should look in to that (@fauno?).

[2]: https://globalsign.ssllabs.com/analyze.html?d=parabola.nu