[Dev] How to build and support GRUB for Beaglebone Black?

Andrei Borzenkov arvidjaar at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 06:55:53 GMT 2015

10.10.2015 17:34, coadde пишет:
> Andrei Borzenkov:
>> Oh, I assumed that part was done, sorry.
>>
>> You simply load and launch GRUB binary using standard U-Boot commands.
>> U-Boot must be compiled to support API as I already mentioned. GRUB may
>> need to be built with adjusted load address - currently this part is
>> hardcoded.
>>
>> All of this is actually documented on linaro page you already know.
>
> I followed the document on linaro page and i've created a patch for
> U-Boot adapted to launch GRUB binary using U-Boot commands [0], it's

When you test something it is better to make all steps manually. Anyway,
commands aliases in U-Boot are pretty much irrelevant and can be
adjusted later, once you solve it.

> based on our version [1] adapted to start up U-Boot only and that works
> well.
>
> If you pay attention and compare the patches, i added "#define
> CONFIG_API", "#define CONFIG_SYS_MMC_MAX_DEVICE 1" (required to launch
> GRUB) and i put the U-boot command to load address "load ${devtype}
> ${bootpart} ${loadaddr} ${bootdir}/${grubfile}". The remaining U-boot
> commands were removed in the patch since i think are useless to launch
> GRUB. Could be it the problem?
>
>> What exactly does not work in your case?
>
> It simply don't boot (black screen) and leds don't respond.

Did you adjust GRUB_KERNEL_ARM_UBOOT_LINK_ADDR to make sure it matches
U-Boot load_addr? Alternatively you need to manually load grub at