[Dev] Presentación

fauno fauno at endefensadelsl.org
Thu Oct 8 23:31:21 GMT 2015

Daniel Milewski <niitotantei at riseup.net> writes:

>> The reason for this email is to offer my help to Parabola project.
>
> We have a wiki page on this topic[1].

welcome!  tesla is a friend :)

>> My idea is to help in the most need
>
> If you'd ask me I'd say that the most annoying thing about Parabola is
> the way it handles importing packages from Arch. This causes updates to
> break and lets nonfree packages slip into Parabola when they're added
> in Arch. It's described in more detail on the aforementioned wiki page.
>
> [1] https://wiki.parabola.nu/How_to_help

i find it odd when people complain about broken upgrades, since i
haven't broken my parabola since i first installed.  not broken
permanently at least.  but maybe it's me that i don't upgrade once per
hour :P

in db-sync's defense, the whitelist approach would prevent any unknown
package from entering the repos, unfree or otherwise, but this would put
more pressure on us since we'd have to review new packages whenever they
appear.  considering unfree packages bugs agrees more with our pace.

as per broken upgrades because of outdated packages in [libre], maybe we
should play a bit more on versioned dependencies, so an unexpected
upgrade from [core] needing some other upgrade that needs to be
addressed by us in [libre] would be prevented by a versioned dependency
in [libre].

to be more clear, if an upgrade of core/gnupg would break libre/pacman,
libre/pacman should depend on the version of core/gnupg that it was
built against, so the broken upgrade would be prevented.  you won't be
able to break your system until libre/pacman is rebuilt and released :)