[Dev] Let's revert and move changes introduced by bugs #645 and #677 on Iceweasel

fauno fauno at endefensadelsl.org
Wed Nov 4 16:04:32 GMT 2015

Florian Pelz <pelzflorian at pelzflorian.de> writes:

> On 11/04/2015 09:38 AM, Florian Pelz wrote:
>> If you want proposals for criteria, I propose the four freedoms for
>> libre and […]
>
> Which of course is not enough for the Free System Distribution
> Guidelines, so I propose both the four freedoms and
>
> https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-system-distribution-guidelines.html
>
> for libre. That is the FSDG plus no non-free "non-functional data".

our criteria is the parabola social contract (which you can find on the
wiki).

i think the issues brought here are more political/etical than
technical.  "msn in pidgin is ok" because even though it interacts with
a non-free service it does so because otherwise you'd have to use the
non-free client too.  (this discussion is moot since msn is dead anyway,
but it always comes back.)

"hello in firefox" is the current discussion.  even though it's free
software, it only works with an unfree api and it's useless without it.

and since people think mozilla is free software, is assumed that hello
is too, when it doesn't.  this to me is what makes it dangerous and
non-compliant with our criteria.  our criteria isn't to forbid, but to
not provide (i think of it as a boycott.)  are we providing iceweasel in
a way that forbids people from activating hello if they want?

--
http://partidopirata.com.ar