[Dev] Let's revert and move changes introduced by bugs #645 and #677 on Iceweasel

Isaac David isacdaavid at isacdaavid.info
Sun Nov 1 23:10:59 GMT 2015

My 2 cents: I think Shackra is right. To me the distinction between
explicitly partnering with a bad service (like Mozilla did) vs only
using a bad service that already existed (MSN) is largely irrelevant as
far as privacy recommendations are concerned. Sure, intentions matter
unless you are a consequentialist, but both scenarios are equally
unacceptable for privacy. I would discourage Shackra from using MSN as
much as Firefox Hello.

This is not equivalent to saying the current Icecat and Iceweasel
packages don't comply with the policy or something. They clearly are OK
and I appreciate Emulatorman or whoever did it for washing that Mozilla
mess away, but there's room for moving them to [nonprism] if somebody
wants to maintain a less stripped-down version in [libre].

Offtopic:

Le dim. 1 nov. 2015 à 10:33, Florian Pelz <pelzflorian at pelzflorian.de>
a écrit :
> libre is for free software

Not just [libre], all the Parabola repositories strive to contain only
free software. What [libre] really is for is modifications or
replacements for Arch packages bearing freedom issues (not all of them.
The blacklist documents which ones get fixed in [libre] and which ones
we completely discard. your-freedom is built from the blacklist).
[libre] also contains a few original packages that would rather stay in
[core] or [extra] if they came from Arch.

> Then again, some things on the libre blacklist are blacklisted because
> of support for Skype / non-privacy search engines / ….
>
> What I want is no SaaSS. Right now the description of nonprism in the
> Wiki isn't very clear ("nonprism contains packages provided by the
> Parabola community without services under global data surveillance
> programs like PRISM.") and I'm not sure its policy is what I want,
> even
> though the de facto changes are what I want.
>
>>  SSAS is evil, but if Firefox Hello falls in such category, as some
>> are suggesting, then it seems to me that any XMPP service should too.
>>

> For XMPP, you can choose which provider to use, like e-mail. You can
> switch to a different provider whenever you want to. You can also host
> your own. XMPP is not as restrictive as Hello.

[nonprism] does not actually deal with SaaSS, much less it
discriminates networking programs that give you "choice" of service
providers from those which don't. It really only does what you read in
the Wiki. your-privacy bans perfectly free software packages known to
use online services which in turn are known to engage in mass
surveillance; and [nonprism] patches some or all of those packages so
that you can use them without worrying. Yet if you want to avoid SaaSS
then activating [nonprism] is a reasonable step in that direction
because of the correlation between SaaSS and mass surveillance.
However, [nonprism] doesn't guarantee you that even the most obscure
free software client program meant to be used with SaaSS will be
blacklisted. There's nothing a distro can do to make sure the user
never connects to SaaSS; you still need to think about your online
practices.

It's also worth pointing out that online communications don't strictly
classify as SaaSS because while they are services and potential privacy
threats they don't substitute local computing. Communication is a joint
activity.