[Dev] [Urgent] Mirroring Policy

Luke Shumaker lukeshu at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 31 08:18:35 GMT 2015

On Sun, 31 May 2015 01:44:25 -0600,
m at mw.gg wrote:
> > In the past we've discussed setting up a 'repomirror.parabola.nu' that
> > automatically redirects you to a mirror.  Perhaps that should be
> > bumped in priority.  The "gotcha" with that is we'd need
> > up-to-date-ish information on which mirrors had already synced for new
> > packages.
>
> Still wouldn't solve the problem of all mirrors syncing from one
> central mirror. A tier system is what Arch users and it's a good
> solution. repo.parabola.nu would be Tier 0, with a couple of Tier 1
> mirrors syncing from it (and no one else allowed to sync from
> it). Other mirrors would become Tier 2 and would only sync from Tier 1
> mirrors. As the number of Tier 2 mirrors grows, some would be promoted
> to Tier 1. This is distribute the load as much as possible while
> keeping everyone in sync.

Um... yes, that's what I described in the paragraphs before the one
you quoted.

What you quoted was responding to the issue that most of the mirroring
is pointless load, because most users don't mess with their
`mirrorlist`, so pacman always just uses the first one, so we might as
well not have the other mirrors.

> Another idea to maximize load distribution is to assign syncing
> times for all mirrors. For instance, Tier 1 mirror #1 syncs from
> repo.parabola.nu at 15th minute of every hour. Tier mirror #2 syncs
> from repo.parabola.nu at 20th minute of every hour. All Tier 2
> mirrors are assigned a time to keep the load evenly balanced and get
> the latest packages shortly after their upstream mirror has synced.

We can think about that after we've coordinated to set up the tier
system.

--
Happy hacking,
~ Luke Shumaker