[Dev] [Urgent] Mirroring Policy

m at mw.gg m at mw.gg
Sun May 31 07:44:25 GMT 2015

> On Sat, 30 May 2015 09:03:53 -0600,
> Icarious wrote:

> In the past we've discussed setting up a 'repomirror.parabola.nu' that
> automatically redirects you to a mirror.  Perhaps that should be
> bumped in priority.  The "gotcha" with that is we'd need
> up-to-date-ish information on which mirrors had already synced for new
> packages.

Still wouldn't solve the problem of all mirrors syncing from one central
mirror. A tier system is what Arch users and it's a good solution.
repo.parabola.nu would be Tier 0, with a couple of Tier 1 mirrors
syncing from it (and no one else allowed to sync from it). Other mirrors
would become Tier 2 and would only sync from Tier 1 mirrors. As the
number of Tier 2 mirrors grows, some would be promoted to Tier 1. This
is distribute the load as much as possible while keeping everyone in
sync. Another idea to maximize load distribution is to assign syncing
times for all mirrors. For instance, Tier 1 mirror #1 syncs from
repo.parabola.nu at 15th minute of every hour. Tier mirror #2 syncs from
repo.parabola.nu at 20th minute of every hour. All Tier 2 mirrors are
assigned a time to keep the load evenly balanced and get the latest
packages shortly after their upstream mirror has synced.