[Dev] [proposal] Having a pacman-based distro, stable.

freaj freaj at riseup.net
Thu Mar 19 16:39:15 GMT 2015

Hi,

We currently have Parabola, which is:
- a Free distro, entirely free
- Based on pacman
- Based on ArchLinux (repos ordering, design, softwares)
- Unstable/breakable
- Dependent

So what it means is as follows: Parabola is Arch, but with exclusively free softwares. I know there is a lot of work behind it to make it work as it is right at the moment, but this is basically the point. When Archlinux breaks somewhere (ncmpcpp for example, we've all had something broken in Parabola, at least once?), it will break on Parabola. Of course, we all know for a fact here that Parabola is not a stable distro and it's not its aim/purpose. If we want a stable distro, we can move to trisquel? Hm. I have nothing against trisquel, but I have nothing in favor of trisquel either, it's based on ubuntu, not a rolling release, dpkg, etc.

I would like to propose a stable Parabola. I know it sounds easier said than done but, I'd like to.
- A Free distro, entierly free
- Based on pacman
- Stable (1)
- Customizable for us / Independent (2)

1)We will still be a rolling release distro but we will make sure packages don't break on updates.

2) We can for example have many service files on daemon-packages (like httpd) for many init softwares, such as systemd, or gnudmd in the packages, to have a better dynamism on this part. Also, systemd is Linux-kernel only, maybe on the future we will plan to move on HURD! And I'm not idealistic.

What we currently have to make it work:
- Hope (that's for me)
- A good team of people

What we need to currently have make it work (as far as Emulatorman explained):
- People, we need people
- Ressources -> a build machine, or more, because everything will be packaged. As I understood there is already an autobuilder?

Did I leave out  anything? The architecture is already running (for example with libre / pcr / etc)

What do you think about that? Is it a good idea? Bad?

Thanks for reading!

--
freaj <freaj at riseup.net>