[Dev] Confusion about game data

Nicolás Reynolds fauno at endefensadelsl.org
Sat Mar 7 14:41:01 GMT 2015

Fabio Pesari <fabio at pesari.eu> writes:

>> It's easier here:
>> https://gnu.org/distros/free-system-distribution-guidelines.html#non-functional-data
>> (which we follow) forbids NC.  The idea is that a business could sell
>> CDs with Parabola packages.
>
> It talks about data and never mentions code, so releasing just the code
> would not go against guidelines, right?

i thought the wiki said it (or we lost it on one of the many
migrations...) but parabola is also commited to free culture, and that's
why we don't include artwork with non-commercial (also disallowed by the
fsdg) or non-derivative (allowed by the fsdg) terms.

in cases like these, and it's always about game data, the solution is to
approach the developers and ask them for relicensing.  we've barely done
that in five years.

blacklisting is the only method we have so far... it sounds awful but
i'd better not make it a newspeak term.

blacklisting is freedom! :P