[Dev] Confusion about game data

Michał Masłowski mtjm at mtjm.eu
Sat Mar 7 11:14:20 GMT 2015

> I agree that the nonfree data should not be included in Parabola but I
> personally disagree about the blacklisting.

It's easier here:
https://gnu.org/distros/free-system-distribution-guidelines.html#non-functional-data
(which we follow) forbids NC.  The idea is that a business could sell
CDs with Parabola packages.

> There is a huge difference between Free Software and Free Culture: Free
> Software is a social movement while Free Culture is a cultural movement.

Why isn't it also a social movement, and why it's a separate movement?
(I don't believe it's possible to obsolete DRM without obsoleting
nonfree cultural works.  Laws made to prevent users from modifying or
sharing cultural works restrict software: see DMCA.)

> But most importantly, art is free from many of the implications of
> software: you will never be relying on art to monitor your heart rate,
> for example (and if so, it means it's powered by either hardware or
> software).

And software will never use art, and it's obvious for us if a work will
have a practical purpose while copyright exists?  (I don't believe I
could correctly predict what happens during next 130 years, and this is
assuming no copyright extensions.)

> Parabola is a free distro and as such, I agree that it should commit to
> Freedom, 100%. But at the same time, I see no reason the *code*
> shouldn't be distributed, if it's fully free.

It shouldn't be distributed if it cannot be used with only data that we
distribute.