[Dev] Confusion about game data

Fabio Pesari fabio at pesari.eu
Sat Mar 7 10:53:48 GMT 2015

On 03/07/2015 10:30 AM, Michał Masłowski wrote:
>> - https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/uqm-content
>> - https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/uqm-music
>> - https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/uqm-voice
> Licensed under CC-BY-NC-SA which is nonfree.
> [...]
>
> Both should be blacklisted in Parabola

I agree that the nonfree data should not be included in Parabola but I
personally disagree about the blacklisting.

There is a huge difference between Free Software and Free Culture: Free
Software is a social movement while Free Culture is a cultural movement.
But most importantly, art is free from many of the implications of
software: you will never be relying on art to monitor your heart rate,
for example (and if so, it means it's powered by either hardware or
software).

Parabola is a free distro and as such, I agree that it should commit to
Freedom, 100%. But at the same time, I see no reason the *code*
shouldn't be distributed, if it's fully free.

I'm saying this because someone committed to Free Software isn't
necessarily committed to Free Culture. From GNU.org itself:

> We don't take the position that artistic or entertainment works must
> be free, but if you want to make one free, we recommend the Free Art
> License

and again

> Works of art, and works that state a point of view, are different
> issues; the GNU Project has no general stand about how they should be
> released, except that they should all be usable without nonfree
> software (in particular, without DRM)

Games with fully free code fit that requirement, regardless of the
license under which their assets are released.

For the record, I support Free Culture, but at the same time I think it
should be considered a completely separate issue from Free Software.