[Dev] Code collaboration platform GitLab acquires rival Gitorious, will shut it down on June 1

Fabio Pesari fabio at pesari.eu
Sat Mar 7 09:19:53 GMT 2015

On 03/06/2015 10:41 PM, Isaac David Reyes González wrote:
> Has anyone tried http://phabricator.org/ out?
> Apache license, PHP, developed by [spoiler]Facebook[/spoiler], used by
> Mediawiki.

As a program, it looks great (and supports Git as well as SVN and HG),
and being written in PHP is actually an advantage - it is an awful
language but everybody knows it and once PHP 7 comes out it will get better.

Is there a Phabricator hosting facility committed to Free Software like
there is for Gogs? I could only find enterprise sites like Phoreplay
(childish name) and Phab.io (my own name, I disapprove).

(Also, I find it a bit weird that Phabricator's official site links to
Starcraft II and Pokémon wikis in the footer. And their attempts at
"nerd" humor are just cringeworthy)

> I would really like Gitorious to be forked.

It probably will be - there are many people who use it locally. I would
fork it since I know Ruby but to be honest, I really disliked it, but
sure, it'd be great if the project survived.