[Dev] Confusion about game data

Kuba Kukielka kzer-za at cryptolab.net
Fri Mar 6 22:58:26 GMT 2015

>> While testing out Debian, I was surprised when I wanted to
>> install 'The Ur-Quan Masters' or 'Rocks'n'Diamonds'. The game's
>> data was only available in the 'non-free' repository which is
>> confusing because Parabola packages these games with the data.
>
> It's ok to link to descriptions of packages from Debian's non-free.
> I'm not able to find them.

Sorry about that, here are the links to the packages:

- -- UQM

First of all, the UQM package itself is in the contrib repo:
https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/uqm

The content is found in the non-free repo as is the music and the
voice package.

- - https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/uqm-content
- - https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/uqm-music
- - https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/uqm-voice

The Russian translation of the game is in contrib for some odd reason.

- - https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/uqm-russian

- -- Rocks'n'Diamonds

The package is located in contrib.

- - https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/rocksndiamonds

There is no package for the data, instead while you are installing the
package, it asks you if you would like to install the non-free data or
not. If you do not install the data then you cannot play the game.
(This is just from memory, I will need to test it again)

I found the Debian's mailing list talking about the 'rocksndiamonds'
package.

- - https://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2006/11/msg00104.html

I looked at a few level packages found at the creator's website:

- - http://www.artsoft.org/rocksndiamonds/levels.html

I could not find any license file at all.

Also, in UQM's data files, there was no license file present. I could
try to post something on their forums. With Artsoft Entertainment I
could only find an email address as their way of contact.