[Dev] Code collaboration platform GitLab acquires rival Gitorious, will shut it down on June 1

Michał Masłowski mtjm at mtjm.eu
Wed Mar 4 17:46:39 GMT 2015

> *** It's "MIT" as well, and written in Go, a language created by Google.
>  I don't have anything against Go, I like and use Pond for example, but
> I can't hack it, and I can hack Ruby.

It's why I avoid hosting or using for myself such services: I don't know
enough Go nor Ruby to hack them.  Maybe I could use Kallithea.  (Doing N
things with a server requires using N+1 programming languages.)

> "The goal of this project is to make the easiest, fastest, and most
> painless way to set up a self-hosted Git service. With Go, this can be
> done via an independent binary distribution across ALL platforms that Go
> supports, including Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows."
>
> So they chose Go to support proprietary software.  I don't see that as a
> better option for software freedom that the Gitlab "open core" model. If
> Gitlab stands with the FSF, they have more chances than say, GNU
> Savannah, to be a proper replacement platform than Github.

I hope this doesn't mean that supporting free software requires writing
unportable bash scripts, doing tricky things with fork or mmap, or
having the software require itself to build.