[Dev] Nonfree AUR Packages

Kuba Kukielka kzer-za at cryptolab.net
Mon Jun 29 15:42:28 GMT 2015

Hash: SHA256

On 28/06/15 23:02, fauno wrote:
> Kuba Kukielka <kzer-za at cryptolab.net> writes:
>> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA256
>> Hello!
>> Using a program named `aurlist`, some sed commands and a php 
>> script, I compiled a list of every single package in AUR 3.
>> - - https://d.maxfile.ro/cknuewoqlk.out
>> With this, I wrote a php script that downloaded every single 
>> PKGBUILD in the AUR repo. And then used yet another php script
>> to sort them into folders based of the license tag in the
>> PKGBUILD. I compiled a list of nonfree packages my script found
>> (there are probably more). My script is not 100% accurate so I
>> need to go through it manually.
>> My list is on a etherpad.
>> - - https://pad.riseup.net/p/nonfree_aur
>> I've not finished it yet so any contribution is welcome.
>> (Note that this does not include AUR 4)
>> Here are some status of the current folders.
>> - - free = 48,216 packages - - nonfree = 297 packages - - custom 
>> = 5,265 packages - - other = 3,646 packages
> very cool! but please take into account that because the pkgbuild's
> license says it's free, it doesn't necessarily means the source
> code is.
> i've found several packages where the maintainer just left the 
> default value, or didn't even check, so i'm guessing many of the 
> 48k free packages are really mislabeled.
> still, great work!


I'm going to finish checking the lost today, it's tedious but it has
to be done.

I know that a lot of the free packages are nonfree but it is really
difficult/time-wasting to co through them all.

The only may I can think of doing this semi-automatically is by making
a script that finds the source, downloads it and then tries to find
the LICENSE/COPYING file. If successful, it will print out the
license, the license would be analysed  by me and then the file would
get moved to a free/nonfree folder. If my script did not find a
LICENSE, it would move it into a no_license folder.

I might take a look in the other folder and add some of the more less
popular licenses.

I also came across a problem, my script moved the file to nonfree if
the PKGBUILD had "none" in it, meaning no license. This package called
`cava` was labelled "no license" but after looking at the source, it
wan the MIT license.

But that's what you have to deal with if you are working with
user-generated content.
Version: GnuPG v2


More information about the Dev mailing list