[Dev] Reflection on the Relationship of Money and Parabola

Nicolás Reynolds fauno at endefensadelsl.org
Sun Jan 18 14:54:11 GMT 2015

Tiberiu-Cezar Tehnoetic <tct at ceata.org> writes:

> On 18.01.2015 01:13, hellekin wrote:
>> On 01/17/2015 06:20 PM, Tiberiu C. Turbureanu wrote:
>>
>>> I asked for a leader/representative/however-you-want-to-call-it not
>>
>> *** The correct word you're looking for in this case is *delegate* as
>> fauno mentioned in response to an earlier mail of mine where I misused
>> representative.
>
> But delegate = representative in all the meanings which involve people,
> according to the Wiktionary:
>
> 1. a person authorized to act as representative for another; a deputy
> 2. a representative at a conference, etc.
> 3. (US) an appointed representative in some legislative bodies
> http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/delegate#Noun
>
> If some of you don't like "representative", I will stop using it.
> However, it's the word used by most of the projects in collaborations,
> including SFC and SPI:

in direct democracy, a delegate is the person that takes the job of
communicating back and forth the assembly's and the external entity.
she has no decision power herself, like an elected representative (in a
representative democracy), and the mandate can be revoked/recalled
anytime.  there's also rotation, which means the mandate doesn't last
forever so the delegate doesn't burn out or takes privilege on being
one.

this is pretty standar behavior in argentinian assemblies, but i hardly
found it global on literature (not even starhawk's).

> "All decisions of the Committee shall be made by simple majority. The
> Committee shall appoint, by majority vote, one Member as its
> “Representative” to communicate all Project decisions to Conservancy."
> http://sfconservancy.org/members/apply/conservancy-fsa-template.odt

ok, i don't see why an external entity to the assembly/community should
decide how decisions are made or how their self-governance works, even
though it has an interest on decisions being made, timely or at all.

this is also a standard issue direct democracy assemblies find
themselves with while interfacing with the world and that's why
delegates exist in the first place.

> No, that's not the case. There is an external Romanian project which is
> currently negotiating the contract with us, but it's not that we will
> not accept other external projects too, like Parabola, if, let's say,
> you decide 6 months from now that you want to take our offer.

great :)

--
http://selfdandi.com.ar