[Dev] Reflection on the Relationship of Money and Parabola

Tiberiu-Cezar Tehnoetic tct at ceata.org
Sun Jan 18 09:10:18 GMT 2015

On 18.01.2015 01:13, hellekin wrote:
> On 01/17/2015 06:20 PM, Tiberiu C. Turbureanu wrote:
>
>> I asked for a leader/representative/however-you-want-to-call-it not
>
> *** The correct word you're looking for in this case is *delegate* as
> fauno mentioned in response to an earlier mail of mine where I misused
> representative.

But delegate = representative in all the meanings which involve people,
according to the Wiktionary:

1. a person authorized to act as representative for another; a deputy
2. a representative at a conference, etc.
3. (US) an appointed representative in some legislative bodies
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/delegate#Noun

If some of you don't like "representative", I will stop using it.
However, it's the word used by most of the projects in collaborations,
including SFC and SPI:

"All decisions of the Committee shall be made by simple majority. The
Committee shall appoint, by majority vote, one Member as its
“Representative” to communicate all Project decisions to Conservancy."
http://sfconservancy.org/members/apply/conservancy-fsa-template.odt

"Generally the process starts with informal discussions between project
representatives and one or more board members, initiated either by the
project representatives or the board members."
http://www.spi-inc.org/projects/associated-project-howto/

> The current situation if I read it well is that Ceata needs to move on
> pretty soon--read to allocate their funds.

No, that's not the case because Parabola is not included in our 2015
budget. If you decide to work with us we will receive the money for your
project and will spend it for your project as you see fit. We will
probably make a small welcome donation to Parabola, but that's it. Our
main sponsorship to Parabola is handling for gratis the donations for
you, which is bureaucratic work.

The reason I asked you is because we are planning things in advance and
if there is any progress related to an initiative, the member dealing
with that is expected to report back. I simply didn't know what to
report back to Ceata before the Council meeting.

> So however Parabola is doing
> it, the community should decide whether to take the offer and then
> figure out the details.

Actually, I thing the next steps is for Parabola community to decide if
it will accept donations through an organization (whichever that will
be) and which is (going to be) the structure of the community: who has
the right to vote, what is the process of decision-making, who
communicates with that organization etc.

> Tiberiu, how much time can you hold the horse
> before your foundation chooses to look somewhere else?

No, that's not the case. There is an external Romanian project which is
currently negotiating the contract with us, but it's not that we will
not accept other external projects too, like Parabola, if, let's say,
you decide 6 months from now that you want to take our offer.

--
Tiberiu-Cezar Tehnoetic
(Tiberiu-Constantin Turbureanu)

Susții libertatea artelor și tehnologiilor?
Înscrie-te ca membru: http://ceata.org/%C3%AEnscrieri