[Dev] Reflection on the Relationship of Money and Parabola

Tiberiu C. Turbureanu tct at ceata.org
Sat Jan 17 21:20:39 GMT 2015

On 17.01.2015 22:38, Nicolás Reynolds wrote:
> i say this because your email feels to me as a "take me to your leader"
> position which we never contemplated having in the first place :)

To have a functional democracy it is important the majority can decide
and members who don't agree can have the freedom to vote "no" and not be
persuaded (to a point they are being harassed), with the pressure of the
whole community on them only because they have a different opinion and
the community can't go in a direction without them agreeing (or only by
them leaving the community or the community having them excluded as
members).

I have proposed you the structure that almost every informal group and
association have. The General Assembly decides, the Council executes. I
am not going into that again.

I asked for a leader/representative/however-you-want-to-call-it not
because I want some leader to decide instead of the community. If you
look to my previous e-mails you will see my view is against that. I only
asked for a leadership structure because it's needed for any
collaboration. You can't have the responsibility of executing things on
the community as a whole, because no community member will feel like
it's her/his responsibility or has the authority to act. If a member
takes a responsibility and it is granted by the community, that's a
different story. There is an agreement there.

Anyway, whatever organization you will chose for the institutional
support for donations and spending, *all* of them will ask you for the
structure of your project, the way decisions are taken and the
representative(s) to whom can talk.

If you need everyone to vote on every topic (no matter how
insignificant, like a section on a page) and everyone to vote "yes" for
the community to go in a direction and everyone to have the
responsibility of taking action to make something happen, that's not
going to get Parabola closer to having full-time committed developers to
deliver best quality possible bleeding edge fully free operating system
to as many humans in the world.

--
Tiberiu-Constantin Turbureanu
Președinte, Fundația Ceata

Susții libertatea artelor și tehnologiilor?
Înscrie-te ca membru: http://ceata.org/%C3%AEnscrieri