[Dev] Contributing to [pcr]

Nicolás Reynolds fauno at endefensadelsl.org
Fri Jan 16 19:17:40 GMT 2015

Michał Masłowski <mtjm at mtjm.eu> writes:

>> +1 though a pull request is something that only exists in github i
>> think?
>
> git has a request-pull command since 2005.  Some tools use the
> equivalent term "merge request".

i know, but it just sends an email telling you from where to pull, you
still need to host somewhere and not everywhere has the time or
willingness to autohost.

>> we can receive patches on this list, but almost no one has
>> sendmail(-like) configured on their systems (could be part of such
>> contributing guide)
>
> I don't, git send-email can use e.g. SMTP or IMAP.  Some people send
> emails via usual clients with attached patches (making review harder).

right, i forgot about smtp (local sendmail is way cooler :P)

>> you could also host your abslibre.git clone anywhere and ask us to pull
>> and review from there, even github though it'd be cool if we didn't have
>> to rely on unfree services.
>
> Or we could host an instance of GitLab, Gitorious or other similar
> software.

i wouldn't mind using gitlab (i already use it for work), though it'll
require changing our issue tracker yet another time, though it'll merge
projects and labs subdomains.  i read trisquel is using gitlab now too.

that said i prefer gitlab over redmine and i can ask a friend who's
hosting our gitlab in parabola for his experience setting it up.

> If we decide to prefer patches on the list, we need additional
>software to know what state the patches are, so we won't forget them.

this would be awesome and more transparent for development

--
http://vqfe4xmhxzi7w2uv.onion