[Dev] Transparency

hellekin hellekin at gnu.org
Tue Feb 10 07:45:10 GMT 2015

On 02/09/2015 07:54 PM, André Silva wrote:
> On 02/09/2015 07:30 PM, Nicolás Reynolds wrote:
>
>> ehr... sorry, i pressed the wrong emacs combination :P
>
>> what does everyone think about creating a list for parabola+ceata
>> communications, where everyone can read but only the delegate and
>> ceata can post?  this, of course, to provide transparency in our
>> communications, and if someone wants to write any participant they
>> can do so in private, but it won't be an official communication.
>

> +1 Good idea! I agree because it provides a transparency communication
> for us and gives to the community a way to propose our ideas.

*** I don't think it's necessarily a good idea to promote "transparent
communication", and I certainly don't think it's relevant to advancing
the issue at this point.  If the current proposal is accepted, fauno
will be the delegate, and how this is handled is an implementation
detail.  Decision first, then implementation.

If you insist on implementation, I'm for accountability, not
transparency, and certainly not to "everyone".  It's important *for the
community* to be able to access tracking documents, but not for the
public.  It's important *for the community* to be able to access
tracking documents *if necessary*, but having random people lurking and
bikeshedding at every step is going to wear out the delegate quite fast.
 Accountability and TOFU.  Privacy and freedom.  Not transparency and
the tyranny of structurelessness.

The delegate should come to the community with:

- - understanding of the need of CEATA
- - a proposal to satisfy that need

The community should provide the delegate with a clear response:

- - yes, it's fine
- - yes with patches
- - no

The delegate should go back to CEATA with:

- - no, that need cannot be satisfied, but
- - with such and such changes it would work, or
- - yes, let's do it.

This last step is what needs to be accountable but opaque.  The details
of the communication between the delegate and CEATA are irrelevant to
the process that is public otherwise.  It's important to have a record
of it, but the role of a delegate is exactly to avoid having many voices
raised during a conversation.

More importantly, it's a recipe for disaster.  While you give attention
to this, you're not working on your own tasks.  The goal is to deliver a
distro, not to micro-manage the delegate.

My $0.02

==
hk