[Dev] mirror redirector!

Isaac David isacdaavid at isacdaavid.info
Mon Dec 28 19:29:30 GMT 2015

fauno, is there a way to accomodate arm?
Indeed the snipet is very simple and I think I understand it, but I
don't actually _know_ nginx config and wouldn't know how to move from
there.

Le dim. 27 déc. 2015 à 18:45, fauno <fauno at endefensadelsl.org> a
écrit :
> Luke Shumaker <lukeshu at sbcglobal.net> writes:
>
>>  I don't like directing to Arch mirrors.  They've agreed to offer
>> their
>>  services to Arch, not us.
>
> yeah, i thought that too, but also thought that once you offer a
> public
> service you can't really decide what people does with it.  and since
> we're not going to abuse them, i didn't think it as a real problem in
> the end.
>
> we can ask them if they want to be parabola pseudo-mirrors, too.

This would certainly pose a bandwidth usage increase to those mirrors,
but that doesn't make Parabola liable in any sense. Mirror owners
should understand that they are serving freely distributable software,
publicly on the Internet; and they must take the risk of their service
being used in ways they never imagined, like serving packages for an
Arch derivative and not Arch. Asking them is a good idea even if only
to avoid mirrors that would otherwise feel uncomfortable, for the sake
of politeness, not because we would actually need to apologise.

I don't even think we would be risking mis-servicing our users, would
we? They could hardly try to identify requests coming from Parabola
users and ban them.