[Dev] Canceling of Parabola ARM

Michał Masłowski mtjm at mtjm.eu
Sun Aug 23 03:47:34 GMT 2015

> RNC patches which
> are required for the kernel to run on ARM computers

Not true.

> You can read more information about blobs on ARM devices here:
> https://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/single-board-computers

We support x86 while many systems there need blobs for optional graphics
acceleration, and nearly all have nonfree boot firmware.

> These boards, including Raspberry Pi, actually REQUIRE the blobs in
> order to boot. Therefore until a blob-free board is available, we are
> unable to continue our work. This is unfortunate, but the current
> situation of hardware doesn't allow a true GNU/Linux-libre kernel.

Boards using TI or AllWinner SoCs don't have such blobs.  Please list
specific blobs which are the issue.

(For AM335x used in BeagleBone Black, there is a small power management
firmware under a nonfree license, but the SoC documentation suggests it
being needed only for suspend to RAM which I don't believe is normally
useful on that board.  Regardless of this, that firmware looks easy to
replace.)