[Dev] [Assist] Fwd: Re: Xorg Problem with Radeon

André Silva emulatorman at riseup.net
Sat Sep 13 12:03:14 GMT 2014

On 09/13/2014 04:20 AM, The Mighty Gravi wrote:

>> Right. One search at google does tell lot of people facing issues
>> with Nouveau . Though most people do not get such issues.  It
>> will be woise te search for a ocmpatibility before buying one.
>
> Definetely I agree with Emulatorman about the wisest solution for
> Jorginho issue, buying an Nvidia is probably the best solution.
>
> I get shocked about "people facing issues" with Nouveau, since I
> replaced my ATI by a GT card and the real issue was trying to
> control emotion about the good and consistent performance it was
> delivering.
>
> Both 2D, 3D and vaapi/vdpau video hw acceleration is notable. Only
> an Intel GPU can beat the performance, but you know, there's no
> such thing as Intel PCI cards, all of them are embedded in
> chipsets.
>
> So I would say Jorginho to consult FeatureMatrix and decide which
> is the more aprorpiate for him:
>
> http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/FeatureMatrix/
>
> "Junta unos ahorrillos para pillarte unade estas. Por menos de 50€
> yo me hice con la GT630 en una conocida empresa online donde
> explotan a nuestros camaradas... :P"
>
> In this case, note that KMS will be mandatory for a proper
> videocard initialization and X booting. And fuck, announce when
> you're done serving a 0ad match or whatever! haha

2D and 3D features works well on our machines with Nouveau driver
because we are using Blender, Gimp and Inkscape for professional
works, (coadde has Geforce 8400GS, and me a 9800GT). I say it because
my parents are artists and we help them on the post-production.
Also in my free time, i like play games as Xonotic with High
Definition configuration, and details like shaders and special effects
are notorious because Geforce 9800GT has OpenGL 3.3 support on mesa in
the latest versions :)