[Dev] [Assist] Fwd: Re: Xorg Problem with Radeon

Michał Masłowski mtjm at mtjm.eu
Fri Sep 12 11:11:12 GMT 2014

> It says "The code (see drivers/gpu/drm/drm_edid_load.c) contains
> built-in data sets for commonly used screen resolutions (800x600,
> 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1600x1200, 1680x1050, 1920x1080) as binary blobs,
> but the kernel source tree does not contain code to create these
> data.", therefore it is nonfree! It should be reported to Linux-libre
> developers :S

Please read
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_display_identification_data and
notice that it's just data, not some code.  You can completely
understand this data, possibly using a tool like parse-edid.  The
hexadecimal array can be used as source: the parsed version doesn't add
any extra information (just like we accept binary PNG files instead of
requiring the textual SNG files).

Do you assume that there are no issues related to the lack of Radeon
firmware that recent kernels need for modesetting or X on newer devices?