[Dev] Iceweasel: make download source only from debian repo

taro-k at movasense.com taro-k at movasense.com
Tue Nov 4 01:53:08 GMT 2014

On 11/03/2014 11:33 PM, André Silva wrote:
> On 11/03/2014 11:37 AM, taro-k at movasense.com wrote:
>> Oh, sorry, I didn't notice your reply there. I will check the
>> notification function. By the way, your reply:
>>> [0]:https://labs.parabola.nu/issues/590#note-3 Iceweasel is being
>>> built from Parabola because Debian upstream
>> contains nonfree OpenH264 plugin provided by Cisco Systems.
>> Parabola's packages should be built from source tarball without
>> nonfree stuff.
>
>> If it's the only reason, the following command in PKGBUILD is
>> sufficient, I think.
>
>> rm -v
>> toolkit/mozapps/extensions/{test/{browser/browser_openH264.js,xpcshell/test_openh264.js},content/{OpenH264-license.txt,openH264Prefs.xul},internal/OpenH264Provider.jsm}
>
>>  Also, I did check it's the only difference between parabola repo's
>> and debian repo's.
>

>> I believe downloading directly for upstream as much as possible is
>> always more clear for security-conscious people.
>
>> best.  Taro
>
> Michał found more info about it and you're right [0], then i've put
> the changes reported by you [1], thanks and sorry for the inconvenience :)

Thx lot.
Not only Iceweasel but also other packages, and
not only Parabola but also Arch,
I always believe downloading from upper stream
as much as possible, is much better in terms of
security clarity.

BTW, in the Redmine, mtjm (Michał?) said no need to remove them,
but you are keeping removing. Is this because of Patent
although they are open source?

best.  Taro