[Dev] 99% libre meme
fauno at endefensadelsl.org
Sat Mar 1 19:36:22 GMT 2014
hi! there's a widely used meme here in argentina that says "it's ok to
install and recommend convenience-focused distros because they're 99%
libre", followed by "...since we can't get rid of that 1% just yet".
since i've recently read it went up to 99.98% i decided to check how
much this "proportion of unfreedomness" is.
we discussed this on #parabola and for archlinux the proportion never
went more than 97%, for instance:
* 5714 packages from arch provided by parabola
* 564 packages from arch being blacklisted from parabola
From the latter:
* 201 packages without libre replacements
* 33 packages removed or replaced because of branding issues
* 52 packages removed or replaced because they recommend unfree software
* 479 packages blacklisted for being unfree themselves (not branding nor
479 * 100 / (479 + 5714) = 7.72
so according to this meme the correct thing to say about archlinux is
that "it's 92.28% libre" :)
would it be interesting for other distros to debunk this meme?
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Size: 619 bytes
Desc: not available
More information about the Dev