[Dev] db-sync error postmortem

Luke T. Shumaker lukeshu at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 16 16:32:30 GMT 2014

Those of you who follow the maintenance list will have noticed that
recently db-sync had been failing.  Yesterday, André rolled it back to
a previous version that worked[1].  A couple of hours later, I dug in
and fixed the current version[2].

You may be wondering why is the new version important, if the really
old version works?  The old version does not generate .files
databases.

Anyway, the bug causing the error was introduced way back last October
(actually, in the same commit that added .files support)[3].  So, why
didn't we see it until now?  While it is removing blacklisted packages
from the repos downloaded from Arch, it would error if it failed to
remove any packages.  Well, some packages just moved out of [testing],
such that there were no blacklisted packages there.

[1]: https://projects.parabolagnulinux.org/dbscripts.git/commit/?id=2d217815fcfe05152272c20e49e4e69927d04a35
[2]: https://projects.parabolagnulinux.org/dbscripts.git/commit/?id=0f9c53d616116cac705b01bfabb2186506aac52a
[3]: https://projects.parabolagnulinux.org/dbscripts.git/commit/?id=ce88f47d19cb11ebcc02565156deddc6b48df38c