[Dev] [GNU-linux-libre] LibertyBSD - OpenBSD minus the blobs

Riley Baird orthogonal at librewrt.org
Mon Dec 29 21:04:39 GMT 2014

On 30/12/14 07:29, Michał Masłowski wrote:
>>> I wonder if there is an advantage to work with the people of
>>> NuBSD [0] instead of starting another free BSD?
>>
>> I hadn't heard of them. It seems that they're system is based on
>> FreeBSD, though. In any case, since I've already finished making
>> LibertyBSD, I don't see any point in not releasing it.
>
> All NuBSD work that I know about is the wiki and an incomplete
> deblobbing script.  (All that I currently do for NuBSD is wiki
> hosting.)
>
> In my experience, every person interested in FSDG-freeing a BSD
> distro prefers a different BSD distro, so due to limited time of a
> single contributor no such project has enough work done to be
> posted on this list.  Yours might change this.

That's exactly what I hope. But I need the help of the free software
community for this to become a reality. You can:

1. Make a donation to 1BFQEqzhxTbvfjZ3f9eoTbeEBgJdkVcj4m
2. Buy a pre-release copy. I've already had one order, so contact me
for more details.
3. Help my submission to Slashdot be accepted:
http://slashdot.org/submission/4088331/openbsd-forked-to-remove-non-free-firmware

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq15.html#NoFun

>> For this reason, I would like to provide the tarball of a working
>> ports tree, such that people can work on deblobbing it if they
>> wish to do so. Otherwise, there is no hope of ever having a free
>> ports tree.
>
> Deblobbing can be done incrementally, with scripts that adapt a
> current revision of the upstream ports tree into one compliant with
> the FSDG. This might be similar to how Parabola or Trisquel removes
> some packages and modifies the rest (with nice scripts editing
> source packages in Trisquel).

That's a good idea. But let's see if we can at least get the base
released first. :)