[Dev] [GNU-linux-libre] [Riley Baird] LibertyBSD - OpenBSD minus the blobs

Riley Baird orthogonal at librewrt.org
Mon Dec 29 20:45:06 GMT 2014

On 30/12/14 07:20, Luke Shumaker wrote:
> At Sun, 28 Dec 2014 20:45:12 -0800,
> Ali Abdul Ghani wrote:
>> welcome
>> This delightful News
>> I have some suggestions
>>
>> - Replace clang to gcc
>
> Well, it's based on OpenBSD, which uses clang or gcc based on the
> architecture (as clang does not support all of the architectures that
> OpenBSD does).  Further, the switch to clang was pretty recent.  Using
> GCC probably would be pretty easy.
>
> (to those on the gnu-linux-libre list: the original email was
> forwarded to the Parabola dev list, whre a couple of other replies
> happened)

Is there any significant reason, other than the license, that gcc is
better than clang? I really don't want to deviate too much from
upstream, and as long as the license is free, I don't see a problem.

If it's about the license, I can see that OpenBSD's, or Debian's
decision of which compiler to use would be influential, and thus they
should use gcc. But LibertyBSD is not likely to be influential, so I
don't see the point in changing the default compiler.