[Dev] *URGENT* Proposal to organise Parabola

hellekin hellekin at gnu.org
Sun Dec 21 13:15:50 GMT 2014

On 12/21/2014 01:12 AM, Aurélien DESBRIÈRES wrote:

> Stop to blame me to try to defend something I care about.

*** I don't blame you, I try to understand why you think money is OK
when it's trade, but not when it's a gift.

> ... you will *destroy* ::

*** Are you blaming me for doing something in the future that is not my
intention? :P

> Why if you have no plan are you agressive with me?

*** I don't feel aggressive with you.  I'm simply stating the lack of
logic in your position, and want to understand how the different parties
involved can reach a consensus on--not whether, but how to bring money
in without frustrating anyone.

You think money will destroy everything, yet, other people tell you that
money is just a mean, and not an end.  I've worked for projects without
money, a lot, and a long time.  There's a point where one needs to earn
money in order to maintain oneself.  That's not about destroying
anything, but about enabling things to happen in the long term.

Aurélien, you've been deliberately avoiding simple questions I've made
that would easily end the loop we're in right now: do you earn money or
not?  Do you know of any free software project that does not require any
money even indirectly--people working on such project "in their spare
time"?  I can predict that the former is yes, and the latter is no,
because we're all living in the same non-idealistic world where social
approval is largely replaced by the trade economy.

That does not mean including money turns anything into a trade economy.
 That simply means in order to live in this world and interact with it,
some money is needed as the interface sometimes.  Hopefully the social
approval at work in Parabola will remain strong and prevalent, but I
think rejecting money as a whole is more likely to damage the project
than accepting donations, which are a mark of social approval from
people who do earn money from their daily activity.  The form of those
donations is subject to discussion.  What Tiberiu proposed seems very
acceptable to me in principle, and it's another thing to determine how
the project will allocate this money.  Obviously, if you think money is
not kosher, you're volunteering not to receive any.  But still, you
shall benefit from it, as it will be transformed into productive work time.

==
hk