[Dev] 3D printer and Parabola

Luke Shumaker lukeshu at sbcglobal.net
Sat Dec 20 20:28:35 GMT 2014

At Sat, 20 Dec 2014 10:35:41 +0100,
Aurélien DESBRIÈRES wrote:

> [1  <multipart/signed (7bit)>]
>
> Who have used https://www.lulzbot.com/products/lulzbot-taz-4-3d-printer/
> ?
>
> Which software is need to make it run and to create the 3D design?
>
> Who have used it on Parabola?

I have the earlier AO-100 (well, sort-of. I built it, but it's nearly
identical).  Most of the software to use it isn't packaged for
Parabola, mostly because of difficulties with some libraries and such.
It is Free though, so I don't have too many qualms about just using
precompiled binaries.  Most of the stuff in in the "java/not-working"
folder in abslibre.

With it I use:
 - The "Marlin" firmware
 - The Arduino IDE to update the firmware
 - Printrun's "Pronterface" for the software UI.
 - "Slic3r" to convert .stl files to .gcode files for Pronterface
   (instead of Printerface's integrated Skeinforge support, which does
   the same thing).

It appears that the TAZ 4 still uses the same software as I use:
http://download.lulzbot.com/TAZ/4.0/software/2014Q2/

As for creating new models; I never did that.  But that's mostly
because I never got it working well (hardware calibration; I'm
software guy...).  I know that OpenSCAD is a popular option for
programmer-oriented peaople.  I also have looked into kCAD
(KDE-based).