[Dev] [ARM] Parabola ARM Port

Aurélien DESBRIÈRES aurelien at hackers.camp
Sun Dec 14 10:03:33 GMT 2014

Kuba Kukielka <kzer-za at cryptolab.net> writes:

>> Yes.
>>
>> Just pay attention of the licenses and licenses of each
>> dependencies.
>
> The only thing that worries me is that when the package says that the
> license is 'custom' so you never know if it is a free software license
> or not except if you research.

You must not pay attention of what the PKGBUILD says, but you must pay
attention of what the license in the source code say.

>> And space on the server for ARM port which certainly need to be
>> set.
>>
>> That settings should be report on the wiki for next port support.
>>

>> Then we will need hackers with ARMv7 board to build.
>
> Would we be able to cross-compile? I don't have a board at the moment
> but getting one soon, hopefully.

I have heard that is possible to do that for i686 from x86_64 ... maybe
it is possible to ARMv7h too.

>> But that will not be enough for good robotics support, we will
>> need to free ROS which is the big part in fact.
>>
>> Have a look to ros.org
>>
>> a Parabola GNU / Linux-libre + ROS will be fully free robotics
>> solution.
>>
>> And that will be the first in the FSF world!
>
> Amazing! I looked at ROS before when I searched for robots made on the
> BeagleBone and I was amazed at how complex it is, but how simple it
> presents it.
>
> I also saw that it has experimental Arch GNU/Linux support.
> http://wiki.ros.org/indigo/Installation/Arch
>
> Maybe that can help?

AFAIK ROS works on Archlinux ARM (I have tested it on a BBB)

<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>

--
Aurelien Desbrieres
http://www.hackers.camp