[Dev] Parabola on the Raspberry Pi

Michał Masłowski mtjm at mtjm.eu
Fri Dec 12 21:37:21 GMT 2014

> I don't know how an Arduino works, but if you think that will be a
> better option, I will consider it. According to the website it says:
>
> "Arduino is an open-source electronics platform based on easy-to-use
> hardware and software. It's intended for anyone making interactive
> projects."

It has an 8-bit microcontroller, it's much different at programming and
more embedded than the ARM systems running GNU/Linux.

> I looked at the BeagleBone and the Cubieboard but I don't think they
> have the exact same support, and since I am a newbie at robotics and
> electronics, it makes it harder to make such a project.

I have no experience and no interest in robotics.  I used the Cubieboard
as a server for a single-user Web app (which wouldn't work with just
512 MiB of RAM) and the BBB as an external SPI programmer to flash
coreboot in my laptop (and also as a EHCI debug device to find that the
laptop fails to find its RAM).

> Do you think that the Ardunio is better? Can I use free software on it?

It's better for some projects, not for others.  You can use it with
fully free software, while some boards have e.g. wifi with nonfree
software.  (The FSF-endorsed 3d printers use Arduino-like boards.)

Arduino is popular, the amount of available documentation and resources
should help.