[Dev] [Monthy tech talk] December 2014

Luke Shumaker lukeshu at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 7 19:49:07 GMT 2014

At Sun, 7 Dec 2014 16:08:56 +0530,
Icarious wrote:
> >  - Having dbscripts hook into XBS (or: Arch packages in abslibre.git)
>
> +1. I think this is very important and of high priority right
> now. However we may also consider fetching only sources from arch
> and build our own as per mtjm's suggestion.

Fetching only sources from Arch I think is a good idea, but feel that
it's a little farther away.  Besides needing more code to be written,
there are a couple of decisions to be made:

 - How are they built?  By autobuilder, or by human packagers?
   - If packagers:
     - That's a lot more work, and I think encourages people to be
       sloppy.
   - If autobuilder:
     - I think that this hugely increases the risk of releasing a
       broken package, if there isn't human intervention.  Right
       now[1], autobuilder is only used for extremely simple packages.
     - How do we handle signing?  Do we pass through the sigs of Arch
       developers in any way?
     - Where would it run?  That would be a lot of load to put on the
       main server.
       - We could build a job server, where a packager has a daemon
         that gets jobs from the main server, and runs them locally.
         That makes signing more complex (each dev needs 2 keys; one
         for normal builds, one for autobuilder builds), and means
         way more code to be written.

[1]: Oh, that's another thing on my list!  Autobuilder isn't set up on
the current server.