[Dev] *URGENT* Proposal to organise Parabola

ingegnue ingegnue at riseup.net
Sat Dec 6 23:31:02 GMT 2014

Well, I sympathize, but to be against capitalism, you don't have to be against money.

Money predates capitalism. Before money there were gifts and debts, and barter was only ever used with strangers or would-be enemies. (Source: anthropologist David Graeber.) The 1% exist not because of money, but because of a series of steps that occured to get us where we are today in capitalism:

Step 1: laying claim to land and resources (capital) with violence, and then charging people to live on that land and use those resources
Step 2: then forcing them to work on that land and have the surplus of their labor being taken from them in order to survive.
Step 3: ever more intricate mutations of the above.

Roughly, some people debate that money needs to be gotten rid of, while others say that the end of ruling classes owning the resources is sufficient. So you (Aurelien) would fall into the first category. However since Parabola already supports free software (which in economics means everyone can access the means of production, in this case software) I will safely assume that Parabola will not (require) charge for its use, so that leaves two approaches:

1) A gift economy that uses no currency

2) A gift economy that uses currency

When put into practice, if method #1 is chosen, will the gifts/donations be of labor (e.g. code) and materials (e.g. servers, mirrors)? This is a worldwide project: What happens if someone wants to support the project materially despite not having time, and they cannot for instance donate equipment because of the prohibitive cost of transporting it, or because of taxes or sanctions in either country?

Aurelien, what do you think?

Regards,
IngeGNUe