[Dev] *URGENT* Proposal to organise Parabola

Michał Masłowski mtjm at mtjm.eu
Fri Dec 5 18:19:53 GMT 2014

> as well as building good relationships
> with other Free Software organisations, FSDG adhering Projects and
> upstream (Uploading Parabola Packages to AUR, reporting bugs to arch
> etc).

+1

> and spend the rests for stable infrastructure
> (buying VPS / Domain Names/ etc) that will reduce the frequent
> downtime.

And the wildcard TLS certificate?

> I have also seen issues like unstable source code management which
> needs fixing. Every major distribution has its own source code
> management system and Arch has "ABS" which is broken in
> Parabola. Packages from abslibre mostly don't get merged and the user
> has to rely on using GIT. GIT works in most cases however "using git
> for abslibre" and "using abs for packages from Arch" seems like a
> dirty hack to me rather than a long term solution. We need an unified
> solution to this.

I think it's much more deeply broken: ABS is not synchronized with
binary packages, so we can get binaries at one sync and ABS hours/day
later.  I believe we should get from Arch only sources and build our own
binaries, so we have verified availability of sources and can do
important improvements like debug symbol packages that GNUtoo suggested.
(This needs much work and a build server.)

> 3) The issues must not stay as a mere discussion / suggestion but also
> be implemented in a timely manner.

+1