[Dev] *URGENT* Proposal to organise Parabola

Icarious icarious at hacari.org
Fri Dec 5 13:14:56 GMT 2014

I had a brief chat with Emulatorman yesterday and we came to certain conclusions. It has come to our attention that there is a certain need to organise the Parabola project and open possibilities to accept donations and funds for a better future for the project. As per https://www.parabola.nu/donate/ "At the moment, Parabola isn't accepting any money donations. And that's because we have nothing to do with them. We really don't, at the moment". However, there are developers who think otherwise and wish to get paid for the amount of work they do for Parabola by investing their time however we don't have a Donation policy yet. But before framing up a donation/ fund policy we need to organise ourselves to deal with such matters. As Parabola is a volunteer and community based project and does not wish to have any Project leader, here are my proposals.

1) We form a committee which consists of every recognised Parabola Developer. This committee will have two main functions, one internal and one external. In the external function, the committee represents the Parabola Project to others. This involves giving talks and presentations about Parabola, as well as building good relationships with other Free Software organisations, FSDG adhering Projects and upstream (Uploading Parabola Packages to AUR, reporting bugs to arch etc).

Internally, the committee manages the project and defines its vision. There should be regular (monthly) talks within the committee, to see how they can assist their work. A main task of the committee therefore involves coordination and communication.

2) After a committee is formed it is vital that we discuss on issues like Donations and funding policy which will get active developers their share of payment, and spend the rests for stable infrastructure (buying VPS / Domain Names/ etc) that will reduce the frequent downtime. Vote based decision has been chaotic for other projects and hence a consensus decision-making can be better.

I have also seen issues like unstable source code management which needs fixing. Every major distribution has its own source code management system and Arch has "ABS" which is broken in Parabola. Packages from abslibre mostly don't get merged and the user has to rely on using GIT. GIT works in most cases however "using git for abslibre" and "using abs for packages from Arch" seems like a dirty hack to me rather than a long term solution. We need an unified solution to this.

3) The issues must not stay as a mere discussion / suggestion but also be implemented in a timely manner.

I hope this will be given a serious thought and acted upon mutually.

--
Icarious