[Dev] [RFC] Voting about package naming for packages modified from Arch

Michał Masłowski mtjm at mtjm.eu
Fri Aug 29 08:20:24 GMT 2014

>  3) Don't ever use the -libre suffix (mtjm)
>
>     Because all packages on [libre] have implicitly been modified for
>     freedom.

Since all packages in Parabola are free and are packages in Parabola,
adding -libre or -parabola suffixes doesn't help.

Renaming * -> *-libre breaks updates: pacman moves essential config
files to *.pacsave, considering these completely different packages.
Users need to manually rename it, developers need to make special rules
about packages to not rename or make update scripts rename these files.

Renaming *-libre -> * (e.g. when a package in Arch/upstream stops
including nonfree software, or gets to use /etc/os-release for branding)
always needed a manual update here.  Users reported issues with outdated
-libre packages on their systems.

Only not renaming any modified package is simple and reliable.

Other distros do not rename their packages, they change their equivalent
of pkgrel, but here it's obvious that a package in libre/pcr/parabola
repo is modified from Arch.

We need to add .1 to pkgrel regardless of branding if we modify a
package, so it gets updated on systems migrating from Arch and if we
modify an already included package.