[Dev] [RFC] Voting about package naming for packages modified from Arch

Daniel Milewski niitotantei at riseup.net
Fri Aug 29 07:29:41 GMT 2014

I vote for mtjm's proposal:

>  3) Don't ever use the -libre suffix (mtjm)
>
>     Because all packages on [libre] have implicitly been modified for
>     freedom.

I agree with most of the arguments raised on behalf of this option:

* It doesn't make sense to have `-libre` suffix in package names if the
distro is completely free software.
* Name changes are unnecessarily complex and don't follow the KISS rule.

I'm also a bit annoyed by the fact I have to guess if the package was
renamed in Parabola whenever I install software through pacman.

--
Daniel Milewski
GPG key ID: 8D43A4A1