[Dev] [GNU-linux-libre] (no subject)

Sam Geeraerts samgee at elmundolibre.be
Tue Aug 5 16:41:42 GMT 2014

Op Sat, 02 Aug 2014 10:33:33 +0200
schreef mtjm at mtjm.eu (Michał Masłowski):

> > * In libical-1.0.tar.xz in the directory
> > src/Net-ICal-Libical/netical_wrap.c it says "Permission is
> > granted to distribute this file in any manner provided this notice
> > remains intact." There might be
> > other non-free files too but this is just an example
>
> It's generated by SWIG, we should check the files it's generated from.
> "in any manner" might include modified versions, I'm not sure.

I think this is the (old) one-liner version of the SWIG license [3],
which is a FreeBSD-like license. Not a problem, IMO.

> - modified source can be distributed only as original source + patches
> - anonymous changes are not allowed
> - bf_test.c and color.c are just nonfree, with no license
>
> The first issue is explicitly allowed by the free software definition.
> Is the requirement to "provide your name and address as the primary
> contact for the support of your modified version" acceptable?

The FSF's license list says it's a free license [1]. The requirement
could make it undistributable (and therefore practically non-free?) in a
certain context, but in general it doesn't prohibit modified
distribution.

My understanding of the informal license [2] statement in color.c is
that it at least provides the 4 freedoms.

[1] https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#gnuplot
[2] http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#informal
[3]
http://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs//main/s/swig1.3/swig1.3_1.3.40-3_copyright