[Dev] [Packages (i686 and x86_64) - Freedom issue #373] Lots of nonfree game-related packages in the AUR

labs at parabola.nu labs at parabola.nu
Wed Jul 24 01:54:20 GMT 2013

Issue #373 has been updated by israfel.

On that note, here's some more nonfree AUR packages that were reported earlier: https://labs.parabola.nu/issues/123
Freedom issue #373: Lots of nonfree game-related packages in the AUR
https://labs.parabola.nu/issues/373

Author: israfel
Assignee:
Category:
Target version:

I don't know if we're blacklisting AUR packages or not, but nppangband's blacklisted, and as far as I know, it's only available from the AUR. I've found a lot of proprietary game-related packages in it, so here's a list.

zdoom and its derivatives (zdoom-svn, zandronum, zandronum-svn, gzdoom, gzdoom-svn, skulltag, and skulltag-98d) contain proprietary components. (See http://zdoom.org/wiki/License.) Another Doom sourceport, Doomsday, also uses the proprietary FMOD library.

zdoom does have an OpenAL branch, but it's not officially supported, because it only compiles on GNU/Linux. This shouldn't be a problem for us, so it should be possible to make a zdoom-libre package based off the OpenAL branch with all the proprietary components removed. I tried to do it myself, but I couldn't get it to compile. Here's a partial list of files that need to be removed or changed:

PROPRIETARY
asm_ia32/a.asm
oplsynth/deftypes.h
oplsynth/fmopl.cpp
oplsynth/mlopl.cpp
oplsynth/mlopl_io.cpp
oplsynth/muslib.h
gccinlines.h
mscinlines.h
r_bsp.cpp
r_bsp.h
r_draw.cpp
r_draw.h
r_polymost.cpp
r_polymost.h
r_segs.cpp
r_segs.h
r_things.cpp
r_things.h

DEPENDS ON PROPRIETARY CODE
r_drawt.cpp
r_swrenderer.cpp
r_swrenderer.h

DEPENDS ON CODE THAT DEPENDS ON PROPRIETARY CODE
/src/cmakelists
/sdl/hardware.cpp (swrenderer)
/sdl/sdlvideo.cpp
r_3dfloors.cpp (bsp)
r_local.h (uses things)

Doomsday should be much easier to fix: while it uses FMOD, it can compile without it. I tried to make a libre PKGBUILD, but I keep getting errors- as far as I can tell, it's because it doesn't work with libpng16.

libretro-supergit contains several proprietary emulators: Final Burn Alpha, SNES9x, and SNES9x-next are all non-commercial, and VBA still contains the proprietary 2xSaImmx.asm file. libretro-fba-git, libretro-snes9x-git, and libretro-snes9x-next-git should be blacklisted, and libretro-supergit and libretro-vba-git modified.

Finally, most Angband variants, sadly, are based off an earlier, non-dual-licensed version of the source code. Here's a list:

angband-git
dajangband
entroband
eyangband
faangband
fayangband
gumband
hengband
hellband
mangband
oangband
posband
reposband-git
sangband
scthangband
sil
steamband
tinyangband
tome
tome2-git
unangband
xangband
zangband

I'll whip up some PKGBUILDS that don't contain the "freeware" sound effects (I assume they're there) for angband-git, faangband, hellband, sil, reposband-git, and sangband. Everything else uses the non-free "Angband license".

kolmafia uses the nonfree JSON, OSXAdapter, and SunGraphics programs, and is only useful with the proprietary MMO Kingdom of Loathing. I don't know if our position is that MMOs need to be free, but if so, kolmafia is also only useful with non-free software.

Finally, abandonia-menu, battle-chess, jazz-jackrabbit-2, kings-quest-1-agd-remake, kings-quest-2-agd-remake. kings-quest-3-agd-remake, legend-of-kyrandia-1, legend-of-kyrandia-2, leisure-suit-larry, quest-for-glory-2, reunion-1, space-quest-1, starwars-chess, starwars-vector-arcade, the-imagination-network, the-incredible-machine-1, and the-incredible-machine-2 all contain either nonfree data or a nonfree engine.

...Wow, that was a lot longer than I expected.

To change your notification preferences, please click here: http://labs.parabola.nu/my/account