[Dev] Clarification on licensing of unixkcd April fools image

Luke T. Shumaker lukeshu at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 30 20:36:07 GMT 2013

Hi,

I'm one of the maintainers of the website for the Parabola
GNU/Linux-libre operating system[1].  We currently have a Konami-code
easter egg that pops up Tux[2].  We've wanted to change it for a
while, but couldn't decide on what.  I thought of the RMS picture[3]
you used for the same purpose in the unixkcd April fools.

I wanted to confirm the license of the image--the README.md states
that the code is GPLv2, but makes no comment about the image (plus the
GPL doesn't apply very well to non-code things).

Because the image will have different ownership than the rest of the
application, assuming the license is OK, I'll put a copyright bit in
the corner with your name and the licence--it can say whatever you'd
like it to say.

Of course, you could say "it's CC BY-ND" (which we can't use, per our
own policies), and we won't use it.  That's cool too, I get it.

Happy hacking,
~ Luke shumaker

[1]: https://parabolagnulinux.org/
[2]: https://parabolagnulinux.org/static/vector_tux.png