[Dev] About DuckDuckGo offer to Parabola...

Luke T. Shumaker lukeshu at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 31 22:28:35 GMT 2012

Prakash Swaminathan <prakash at duckduckgo.com> wrote:
> Thanks!  Delighted to hear that we are the default search engine in
> Parabola.
>
> We offer revenue-share in two ways:
> - If DuckDuckGo is the default search engine we split revenue 50-50%
> - If DuckDuckGo is an option among other search engines, we would split 25%
>
> Would this be of interest to you?

I believe that some things need clarified:

 1. By default, we include "Duck Duck Go (Lite)", *not*
    "Duck Duck Go". The non-lite DDG was formerly included, but
    removed because it did not meet our policies (point 3 below).

    It was my understanding that an effort had been made to work with
    you to meet our policies before it was removed.  If not, we would
    love to start now.

 2. Does DDG Lite qualify for revenue sharing? AFAICT, DDG Lite does
    not include ads, so I would assume "no".

 3. In order for the non-lite DDG to be included in Parabola, all
    JavaScript used must be available under a Free Software license,
    as defined by the FSF.  Preferrably, it also should get through
    the LibreJS browser plugin[1].

[1] <http://www.gnu.org/software/librejs/>.