[Dev] constructing a USB media upload and download device

Quiliro Ordóñez quiliro at congresolibre.org
Mon Oct 8 11:13:38 GMT 2012

Hello partners.

I am currently at Goania, Brasil to participate on a coop-op about art
and technology. The data about is in:

Projeto selecionado -- Res#6 Programa de Residência Artística e Científica
http://www.medialab.ufg.br/site/#res6-programa-de-residencia-artistica-e-cientifica

res#6: O Bom Compartilhar - primeiro encontro com os residentes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBxVGU0pHlc

Res#6: Apresentação dos Residentes Juan Carlos León e Quiliro Ordóñez
(Equador)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDG3RkR2Dwo

It is basically a device which will be publicly available for anybody to
upload and download works via USB memory for using in events or the
sort. No keyboard. No moniitor. Nothing but an ethernet port connected
to the Internet, some leds and two USB ports.

The device should, upon detection of a USB memory stick plugged into one
of the USB ports, copy a folder from the device to the USB memory. If
the USB memory stick is detected on the other USB port, the device
should work the other way around; it should copy a folder from the USB
memory to the device. After any of these two operations is completed,
the USB memory should be unmounted and a led should flash until the USB
memory is detached. This is managed through a web server.

I have made the web administration interface. And I have found
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Execute_on_USB_insert . It says:
"Add the following line to your udev USB mount rule (Modify to fit your
configuration)". Would someone please tell me if I am correct in
assuming that the the udev USB mount rule is in Is
/etc/udev/rules.d/90-automounter.rules ?

--
Saludos libres,

Quiliro Ordóñez
Presidente
Asociación de Software Libre del Ecuador - ASLE
Av de la Prensa N58-219 y Cristóbal Vaca de Castro
Quito, Ecuador
(593)2-253 5534
(593)2-259 5632
(593)8-454 8078